The commune of Tarnowo Podgórne is located in the central part of Wielkopolska province, in the poznański county. The commune of Tarnowo Podgórne borders the city of Poznań to the east, the commune of Rokietnica to the north, the commune of Dopiewo to the south, the communes of Kaźmierz, Duszniki and Buk to the west.
The entire commune of Tarnowo Podgórne is situated in the Warta river basin, with the main drainage channel – the lowland Sama river. The area of the commune belongs to the Poznań Upland with a diversified terrain, within three subregions: The Pszczewsko-Pniewskie Hills in the north-western part (with the most characteristic form of a tunnel valley – the Sama River), the Poznań Plain in the south-eastern part and the Szamotuły Plain in the north. Within the Poznań Plain, there is a tunnel valley of Lusowskie Lake with an unusual latitudinal course. South of the lake there is a sandur area (Lusowski Sandur) and Wysogotowski Sandur to the east. The central part of the commune and the area to the north of Lusowskie Lake are occupied by flat and undulating moraine upland of the Szamotuły Plain.
The highly attractive nature and landscapes of the south-western part of the commune, represented by the diversified post-glacial landscape, rich flora and fauna, combined with the historic buildings preserved on the territory of the commune create opportunities for the development of the tourist and recreational function. A part of the commune is located within the Wielkopolska Fossil Valley – a protected aquifer structure on a macroregional and national scale.
The commune consists of 16 villages. These are: Baranowo, Batorowo, Ceradz Kościelny, Chyby, Góra, Jankowice, Kokoszczyn, Lusowo, Lusówko, Przeźmierowo, Rumianek, Sady, Sierosław, Swadzim, Wysogotowo and Tarnowo Podgórne.
The earliest record of the commune area dates back to 1146 and concerns the granting of the village of Lusowo to the Poznań bishopric by Mieszko III the Old. The first record of Tarnowo Podgórne comes from 1257. Tarnowo was owned by the bishops of Poznań since 1293 until the period of partitions.
Parks, palace and manor-park complexes have been preserved in the villages of Baranowo, Jankowice, Swadzim, Lusówko, Lusówko, Sierosław, Rumianek. None of the rural areas have been entered in the register of historic monuments.
There are many sacral buildings, residences, parks and manor complexes in the area of the commune connected with the landed gentry tradition of distinguished noble families. Out of 7 palace or manor-park complexes, 4 have been entered in the register of historic monuments.
The preserved churches are from different periods of history. The parish church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Tarnowo Podgórne was erected for the needs of the Evangelical community and now serves as a Catholic church. The other churches were built for Catholics. The most valuable and oldest church in the commune is the 14th century church of All Saints in Tarnowo Podgórne near the town center.
HISTORIC LANDMARKS ENTERED IN THE REGISTER OF HISTORIC MONUMENTS:
In the area of the commune of Tarnowo Podgórne, the most valuable sacral buildings and palace and park complexes have been entered in the register of historic monuments. A relatively small number are farm buildings.
Manor complex, end of the 19th century, register no.: 2194/A of 30.08.1990:
- manor house
Parish church complex:
- the church of St. Stanislaus, early 16th century, 1713, register no.: 2396/A of 21.12.1932
- wooden cemetery belfry, 1958, register no.: 1098/A of 29.04.1970
- the Engeström family grave chapel, mid-19th century, register no.: 1174/A of 23.07.1970
- palace, 1803-07, 1912, register no.: 2492/A of 31.01.1952
- park, early 19th century, register no.: 161/A of 17.07.1968
- granary, early 19th century, register no.: see above.
- parish church of St. James and Jadwiga, 15th century, 1916-18, register no.: 1176/A of 23.07.1970
Palace complex, mid-19th century, register no.: 1530/A of 2.07.1974:
- park, ul. Parkowa 6, mid-19th century, register no.: 1827/A of 5.02.1981
- park, end of the 19th century, register no.: 1843/A of 2.03.1981
- palace, 1910, 1924, register no.: 2177/A of 16.08.1989
- park, mid-19th, 20th century, register no.: 1784/A of 14.02.1979
- the church of All Saints, 1464, 18th century, register no.: 2411/A of 21.12.1932
- evangelical church, now a Roman Catholic church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, 1901, register no.: 2621/A of 30.06.1997
- cellars of the customs house, early 19th century, register no.: 1194/A of 24.07.1970